Big flavor is my primary goal when it comes to creating healthy recipes. This Mediterranean Chicken & Cauliflower Rice Bowl definitely fits the bill!
I never want someone to look at my blog or Instagram feed and think “man, eating healthy sure looks boring”. Quite the opposite. Healthy, nourishing food can taste spectacular… and it’s not as hard as many people think!
Sometimes I go out to eat expecting that my meal is going to have the pop and complexity of flavor I frequently create in my own kitchen and, well, I’m left disappointed. Oftentimes, I take this as an opportunity to go home and recreate a dish with the big flavor I expected it to have.
This is a perfect example.
As far as I can tell, the stereotype that healthy food is bland and boring comes from the (silly, out-of-date, reckless) idea that you can’t season “healthy” food.
Oh, lordy. Sit down and let’s talk this out.
Eventually I may put together an entire post on the health benefits of all herbs and spices. But for now, let’s just do a quick overview of the herbs and spices included in these Mediterranean Chicken & Cauliflower Rice Bowls.
- Oregano—source of vitamin K, manganese, iron, calcium, and fiber. Also contains antioxidants and has antibacterial qualities.
- Parsley—source of vitamins A, K, C, B1 and B3, folate, iron, copper, fiber, and zinc. Supports urinary tract, kidney, and digestive wellness.
- Basil—source of vitamins K, A and C, folate, manganese, copper, calcium, iron, and magnesium. Contains antioxidants and has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial qualities.
- Garlic—contains manganese, vitamin B, vitamin C, and selenium. Another source of antioxidants. Supports the immune system and cardiovascular health.
- Black Pepper—facilitates digestion and enhances the bioavailaiblity of other herbs and spices to maximize nutritional benefits.
So there you have it. Flavor is good for you. Now put down the unseasoned chicken breast and steamed veggies! Instead, whip up this recipe. You’ll get a hearty (read: filling!) serving of chicken breast and veggie variety with a big punch of flavor. Plus, it’s gluten free, paleo, Whole30, and 21DSD friendly.
Because that’s how life should be: full of flavor.
Mediterranean Chicken & Cauliflower Rice BowlsPrint
For the Marinade/Dressing
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped oregano (or 2 teaspoons dried)
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped basil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
For the Bowls
- Combine all marinade/dressing ingredients in a small bowl and whisk until emulsified.
- On a flat surface, pound the chicken breasts until they’re uniform height. This step is optional but recommended because it speeds up the cooking time and makes sure the chicken breasts cook evenly. Add the chicken breasts to a shallow container and pour half of the dressing over them. Marinade for at least 30 minutes to 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Trim the leaves off the cauliflower and break the florets into chunks. Working in batches if you have to, add the florets to a food processor and pulse until the florets break into rice-sized crumbles. Spread the cauliflower rice out onto a baking sheet and bake for about 5 minutes.
- Heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the marinated chicken breasts and cook for 4-6 minutes per side or until done. Remove to a clean plate and let the chicken rest for at least 5 minutes before slicing.
- Meanwhile, start to assemble the bowls. This recipe makes two huge servings or up to four smaller servings—that part is up to you! Add 1-2 cups cauliflower rice to each bowl. Split the cucumber, tomatoes, red onion, and kalamata olives between each bowl. Slice the chicken breasts and transfer to the bowls. Halve and slice the avocados just before serving. Pour remaining dressing over each bowl. Garnish with lemon slices so you can add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice, if desired.