Who needs fried onions? This dairy free, paleo, and keto version of green bean casserole is topped with crispy bacon instead. Trust me, you don’t want to pass this recipe up for your holiday gatherings!
- 4 cups water
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed
- 1/2 ounce dried mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon ghee, butter, or extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 12 ounces uncured bacon, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup diced yellow onions
- 12 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons cassava flour
- 2 cups full-fat coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Bring water to boiling in a small saucepan. Add the beans and cook for 3 minutes, then drain but preserve 1 cup water. Immediately transfer to a bowl of ice water to blanch the beans and stop cooking. Drain again. In a separate bowl, pour reserved boiling water over the dried mushrooms. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Preheat 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and cook the bacon until crisp. Remove the bacon from the skillet. Reserve approximately 1 tablespoon bacon drippings in the skillet. Add the onion to the skillet and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until softened. Add the cremini mushrooms to the skillet and cook for 3 minutes, until lightly browned. Stir in garlic and cook for 1 additional minute. Remove from heat and stir in green beans.
- Using a fork or slotted spoon, remove the dried mushrooms from the water (reserving the liquid). Chop the mushrooms and add to the green bean mixture.
- Heat the remaining 3 tablespoons ghee/olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add cassava flour, stirring continuously for about 1 minute, until mixture is puffy and light brown. Slowly whisk in about 3/4 cup of the mushroom liquid. Add coconut milk, continuing to whisk for about 5 minutes, until the mixture has thickened. Remove from heat and stir in rosemary, salt, and pepper.
- Stir the sauce into the bean mixture and spoon into a 2-quart square baking dish. Bake for 30 minutes or until bubbly. Top with bacon, then bake for an additional 5 minutes.
Keywords: green bean casserole, dairy free, low carb, paleo, keto