Spicy and quick, Baked Garlic Buffalo Chicken Wings make a great weeknight Whole30 dinner option!
My favorite part of this recipe — you can start baking the chicken wings and prepare the buffalo sauce and ranch dipping sauce while the wings are in the oven. How’s that for efficiency?
How to make crispy baked chicken wings
Yes, it’s totally possible to make crispy-skinned oven baked chicken wings!
No, it’s not exactly like fried chicken wings. There’s no way you’re going to completely recreate an oil-fried food in the oven. I don’t care what anyone else on the internet says — if you’re handed an oven-baked chicken wing and a fried chicken wing, you’re going to be able to figure out which is which.
That said, I don’t think oven baked chicken wings are any better or worse than fried chicken wings. They’re just different! To me, it’s like comparing a grilled steak or a stovetop steak. Both great, but not the same.
Anyway, to make crispy baked chicken wings, keep these tips in mind:
- High heat
- Dry wings
- Wire rack
For the best oven-baked wings, I cook them at a higher heat of 400 degrees F. I make sure the wings are relatively dry, tossed only in spices, not sauce. Finally, I always place the wings on a wire rack above the baking sheet. This allows them to get crispy on all sides!
How to make paleo buffalo sauce
Of course, to make good buffalo chicken wings, you need buffalo sauce!
Paleo buffalo sauce doesn’t take much time or effort. For this garlicky version, you mainly need hot sauce (I always use Frank’s Red Hot), ghee (I make my own), and garlic cloves. Beyond that, a couple more ingredients like coconut aminos adds a touch more depth of flavor.
Now, prepare for things to get really complicated here. Add all the sauce ingredients to a blender and blend. Hope you caught my sarcasm. 🙂
Once everything’s blended, the paleo buffalo sauce should last for weeks in the fridge!
More paleo chicken wing recipes
Buffalo wings are basic. They’re certainly not the end all be all of chicken wings. Here are a few more recipes to explore!
- Baked Sticky Chinese Chicken Wings
- Next Level Chicken Wings
- Thai Curry Chicken Wings
- Sweet & Spicy Baked Chicken Wings
- Mango Habanero Chicken Wings
Baked to crispy perfection and tossed in a homemade buffalo sauce, these paleo chicken wings are addictively spicy and easy to prepare!
For the Buffalo Chicken Wings:
- 4 pounds chicken wings
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 3/4 cup Frank’s Red Hot sauce
- 1/4 cup ghee or grass-fed butter
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 garlic cloves, minced (about 2 tablespoons minced)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
For the Paleo Ranch Dip:
- Move and oven rack to the very bottom tier and preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place a wire rack over a rimmed baking sheet. Toss the chicken wings in salt and pepper. Lay them out on the wire rack. Bake for 30 minutes, until browned and crispy. You may have to work in batches!
- Meanwhile, prepare the garlic buffalo sauce. Add hot sauce, ghee, coconut aminos, apple cider vinegar, sea salt, garlic, and black pepper to a blender. Blend until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, combine the mayo, coconut milk, dill, garlic powder, onion powder, and parsley, mixing until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Once wings are done cooking, transfer to a large bowl and pour in garlic buffalo sauce. Toss until wings are completely coated. Garnish with sliced scallions or chopped parsley, if desired. Serve immediately, with ranch for dipping.
Keywords: garlic buffalo chicken wings