- 1/2 c loosely packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 c honey
- 1/2 c fresh lemon juice (3–4 lemons)
- 4 c cold water
- 4 c ice
- Basil sprigs (for garnish when serving – optional)
- Mash honey and fresh basil together (using a fork or a mortar and pestle) until a paste is formed. In a large container or pitcher, combine the basil/honey mixture, lemon juice, and cold water. Cover and store in the fridge for a couple hours or overnight – note that the longer it sets, the more basil flavor there will be when served.
- Strain the lemonade mixture through a fine mesh sieve to remove any solids (and the mushy basil).
- To serve, put 1 cup of ice into each of 4 glasses. Pour lemonade over the ice (about 1 cup each) and garnish with a fresh sprig of basil, if desired.