What better way to change up your taco routine than with BBQ Chicken Tacos and Coleslaw? Coleslaw adds a necessary crunch to these tacos, but you can add extra toppings like pickled onions and cilantro, too!
For the Chipotle BBQ Chicken:
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup diced yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (about 1 teaspoon)
- 2 8-ounce cans tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons raw honey
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 3/4 cup white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups shredded chicken
For the Coleslaw:
- 2 cups thinly sliced cabbage
- 2 tablespoons cup paleo mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
For the Tacos:
- First, make the Chipotle Barbecue Sauce. Heat olive oil in a medium-sized pot over medium-high heat. Add the diced yellow onion and garlic cloves, sauteing for about 5 minutes or until the onion is translucent and soft. Add the tomato sauce, honey, molasses, vinegar, chipotle powder, sea salt, and black pepper, stirring until mixed. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Blend until smooth using an immersion blender or by transferring the mixture to a heat-safe blender. Continue to simmer for 15-25 minutes, uncovered, until the sauce has thickened to your liking (you’ll want it pretty thick for tacos). Add the shredded chicken and stir.
- While the barbecue sauce is simmering, make the coleslaw. Add the mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, and celery seed to a large bowl and whisk until smooth. Add the cabbage and toss to coat. Refrigerate until you’re ready to assemble the tacos.
- To assemble the tacos, add a couple tablespoons of BBQ chicken to each tortilla, add an equal amount of coleslaw, and top with any additional desired toppings. Eat immediately.
Keywords: BBQ Chicken Tacos