These gluten free and paleo snickerdoodles use cassava flour and coconut sugar for a soft, deeply-flavored cookie classic! Make sure you follow the instructions exactly – blend too little and the texture changes dramatically. See notes for more info.
- In a medium bowl, combine cassava flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, and sea salt. In a separate, large bowl, beat melted butter and 1 1/2 cups coconut sugar on medium speed with an electric mixer until incorporated. Scrape in the seeds from a vanilla bean.
- Add eggs to the butter and sugar mixture, continuing to beat for 3-4 minutes, until the mixture has thickened, is a pale yellow, and falls from the beaters in a ribbon-like stream. You’ll want to time this — the 3 minute time makes a big difference in texture!
- Reduce the mixer speed to low and gradually add dry ingredients, scraping down the sides as necessary, until just combined. Let the mixture sit for at least 30 minutes at room temperature. The dough should thicken as it sits.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and arrange a rack in the center of the oven. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Whisk cinnamon and remaining 2 tablespoons coconut sugar in a small bowl.
- Using a heaping tablespoon, portion the dough and roll into small balls with your hands. Toss in cinnamon-sugar until completely coated. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet, spacing about 3” apart. No need to flatten; the cookies will spread as they bake.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes. The edges should be lightly browned, but the centers will be puffed and soft. Let cool for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.
If using ghee, the cookies won’t spread as much, so you may have to flatten them a tiny bit with the bottom of a drinking glass just before baking them.
If you beat the egg/butter/sugar mixture for only 30 seconds, the cookies will turn out chewier and won’t spread as much. But if you like a chewier cookie, I LOVED the 30 second beat time with ghee instead of butter!
Keywords: snickerdoodles, gluten free, paleo, gluten free snickerdoodles, cookies