If you’ve got a counterful of zucchini right now, this Sautéed Zucchini with Garlic recipe is the BEST way to use up that surplus!
Quick and easy with just 5 ingredients, this is one low carb zucchini side dish recipe that you’ll be making time and time again.
How to sauté zucchini
As far as zucchini ideas go, this is probably the easiest you’re going to get.
With just a little bit of your favorite cooking fat, the most basic zucchini side dish is just a few minutes away!
Heat the fat in a skillet over medium-high heat, then add the zucchini. Cook for about 5 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until zucchini is tender.
If you cook it for too long, the veggie will release all the water it contains, which is a lot. So make sure you make small enough cubes (1 inch or less) to prevent the zucchini from being undercooked in the middle but too watery.
That said, even if the zucchini releases its water and it’s more or less swimming…just use a slotted spoon to serve it. No big deal!
Can you freeze sautéed zucchini?
Yes, you can, but I wouldn’t recommend freezing this keto zucchini recipe.
Zucchini is about 95% water. That means that when thawing, even raw zucchini ends up a little mushy. Taking already cooked zucchini and making it more mushy doesn’t typically end well.
Frozen and thawed zucchini works well for soups, stews, casseroles, and smoothies. Not so well for stir fries, salads, or steamed veggie dishes.
So again, you can freeze sautéed zucchini, but this recipe is best enjoyed fresh.
What to eat with sautéed zucchini
Now that you’ve got the side dish, what to eat it with? Here are a few ideas!
- Macadamia-Crusted Pork Chops with Bacon Brussels Sprouts
- Sheet pan fish, like tilapia or salmon
- Baked Sticky Chinese Chicken Wings
- Skillet Pizza Chicken
- A thick, perfectly-seared steak
More zucchini ideas
- The Best Paleo Zucchini Brownies
- Grilled Steak, Zucchini, and Pesto Salad
- Sautéed Zucchini Noodles with Basil, Pine Nuts, and Olives
- Paleo Zucchini Banana Bread
- Sesame Shrimp Scampi with Zucchini Noodles (Whole30)
Did you try this recipe? I’d love to hear what you think! Comment below or tag me on Instagram.Print
This sautéed zucchini is hands down my favorite zucchini side dish! Even my zucchini-hating husband asked for seconds. It cooks up quickly but packs in the flavor.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the minced garlic, sautéing briefly for less than a minute, until fragrant and lightly browned. Add the zucchini and stir, cooking for an additional minute.
- Drizzle in the sesame oil and coconut aminos, stirring to coat. Sauté for another 5-7, until zucchini is tender. Remove from heat and stir in fish sauce. Serve immediately. Will keep in a covered container in the fridge for 3 days.
Keywords: zucchini, Sautéed zucchini, low carb, paleo, zucchini side dish, Whole30