- 2 tablespoon bacon fat (or cooking fat of choice)
- 1 yellow onion, diced (1 1/2 cups)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 12 ounces uncooked sausage, such as bratwurst (I used Mulay’s brand)
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 small head of cabbage, cored and thinly sliced (7–8 cups)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup bone broth or chicken broth
- Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Heat bacon fat in a four quart or larger dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic and cook for 7 minutes until softened.
- Increase heat to medium-high and add sausages, browning for 3-4 minutes on each side. Add caraway seeds, cooking for an additional 2 minutes. Pour in red wine vinegar and cook for about 2 minutes, until reduced by half.
- Add cabbage and continue to cook for 5 minutes or until cabbage has wilted slightly.
- Add broth and salt. Cover and transfer to the oven. Cook for 45 minutes or until cabbage is cooked through. Fish out the brats and transfer to a cutting board. Slice each brat into 5-6 pieces, then add back to the braised cabbage and stir. Sprinkle with chopped parsley if you want to add a bit of flair and serve warm.
You can sub apple cider vinegar for the red wine vinegar in a pinch. If you’re using pre-cooked sausages, skip the browning step and add them to the dutch oven when you add the cabbage.
Keywords: Braised Cabbage Sausage