An immersion blender makes quick work of this silky smooth butternut squash and apple soup. A comforting favorite in the winter!
- Heat a large, deep pot to medium heat and add the broth, coconut milk, butternut squash, and apples. Increase the heat to medium-high until the broth/coconut milk mixture starts to boil.
- Boil for 1-2 minutes, then decrease the heat to low. Cover the pot and let simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until squash and apples are soft and slide off easily when pierced by a fork. Add nutmeg and allspice. Remove from heat and let cool slightly while you prepare the pecans.
- Roughly chop the pecans. Heat a skillet over medium-low heat, then add the coconut oil and let melt. Add the chopped pecans and stir to coat in coconut oil. Toast for 3-5 minutes or until browned and fragrant. Remove from heat.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the squash and apple mixture until completely smooth. Alternatively, if you don’t have an immersion blender, add the soup in batches to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with a handful of toasted pecans and a drizzle of coconut milk just before serving.
To speed things along, you can use leftover roasted butternut squash. If you opt to do this, just reduce the simmer time to about 10 minutes or until the apples are soft.
- Serving Size: 2 cups of soup
Keywords: Silky Butternut Squash and Apple Soup