Meet the sexiest hunk of meat around: Grilled Cardamom Coffee Rubbed Steak.
I dove headfirst into grilling season this year. To kick things off, I wanted to make a coffee-centric spice rub. Why? My only reasoning is that coffee is one of my favorite things, so why not let it bleed over into recipes?
(Yes, that’s about as much thought as I put into recipe ideas. I put way more effort into perfecting the recipe itself than brainstorming the idea!)
Needless to say, this was a fun recipe. Concocting spice rubs are like a kid’s chemistry set for me. Spice rubs present endless combinations and they’re so easy to tweak.
Actually, some of my favorite recipes are made with spice rubs rather than marinades or sauces. Next Level Wings, for example.
Spice rubs like this Cardamom Coffee Rub are meant to enhance the flavor of the meat, not cover it up. Because really, a good steak doesn’t need anything more than salt and a quick sear.
I try to avoid any and all caffeine after noon. Yes, that includes the little amount of coffee on this Cardamom Coffee Rubbed Steak.
Clearly, the best thing to do was have steak for breakfast. Steak and eggs, anyone?
Honestly, I can’t recall if I’ve ever had steak and eggs before testing this recipe… But let’s just say there’s a dang good reason it’s a breakfast tradition. Good gosh, is it good!
So of course, once I perfected the spice rub and photographed the recipe, I wanted to include the eggs too. Just to make it crystal clear that this steak is a good idea for breakfast.
I feel obligated to mention, though, that it’s probably a good idea to eat veggies with your breakfast, too. Even though you will want to go hog wild on this steak, pairing it with a little salad is a great way to round out the meal.
Which brings up another idea… slice the Cardamom Coffee Rubbed Steak up into strips and use it for a big ass salad!
Regardless of how you eat it, you’ll be glad you have leftover spice rub. Steak is obviously my go-to for the leftover rub. But don’t be afraid to try it with pork!
Cardamom Coffee Rubbed Steak Recipe
Grill up these Cardamom Coffee Rubbed Steaks and pair with fried eggs for an epic paleo breakfast.
For the Cardamom Coffee Spice Rub
- 1/4 cup finely ground coffee
- 1/4 cup paprika
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons sea salt
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 tablespoon ground ginger
For the Steak
- 1.5 pound flank steak
- 2 tablespoons Cardamom Coffee Spice Rub
- Heat one side of a gas grill to high.
- Rub the steaks in the spice rub. Set aside while the grill heats up to let the steaks come to room temperature.
- Oil the grates just before using. Place the steaks on the hot side of the grill. Grill for 2 minutes on each side, flipping only once. Transfer to the cool side of the grill, close the lid, and cook for 2-5 minutes depending on the thickness of the steak.
- Transfer the steaks to a plate or cutting board and let rest for at least 5 minutes before serving.