For the apple mixture:
- 2 teaspoons ghee (for the pan)
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 1/2 cups thinly sliced apple (Granny Smith or Gala, about 2 medium apples)
For the batter:
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- First, prepare the batter. Mix dry ingredients, then wet. Set aside while you prepare the apple mixture.
- Coat bottom and sides of a 10-inch cast iron skillet with melted ghee. Combine 2 tablespoons coconut sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Sprinkle evenly over bottom and sides of skillet. Arrange apples in an even spokelike layer in pan. Sprinkle apple with remaining 2 tablespoons coconut sugar. Put in the oven and bake for 8 minutes.
- Remove the cast iron from the oven. Immediately pour batter over apple mixture. If desired, sprinkle extra cinnamon over the batter.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 375 (without removing skillet rom oven) and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until center is set. Carefully loosen pancake with a spatula and gently slide it onto a serving platter. Drizzle with maple syrup and other toppings, if desired. Cut into 6 wedges and serve immediately.
Keywords: Pumpkin Hazelnut Ice Cream, paleo german apple pancake, paleo oven pancake