Can’t do dairy? I’ve got your back. This Creamy Cauliflower “Cheese” Sauce is completely dairy free but has that familiar tang of cheese. Sneaky bonus: the base is cauliflower, so you’re noshing on veggies and savoring a cheesy kick.
January is a big Whole30 month with the new year and all, and I had every intention of spending my time on Whole30 recipes. Originally, I thought this would easily classify as a Whole30 recipe. But after consulting my Instagram followers about it, I can’t confidently label this Whole30 anymore. While it contains all Whole30-approved ingredients, it’s still a “cheese” sauce—a recreation of a non-compliant food that for some would constitute food-with-no-brakes. That’s a no-no on Whole30.
Normally I would just post a different recipe to keep with the Whole30 theme. But this week, that’s not going to happen. Last weekend my family was in town for a late Christmas celebration, and I was the host. Obviously, I had no time (and no space!) to cook up and photograph a different recipe.
Despite that, this cauliflower “cheese” sauce is still worth sharing! It’s fairly quick and simple. You can use it to smother your favorite veggies or as a dip. I mixed about 1/4 cup of the sauce with some Primal Kitchen ranch dressing and leftover shredded chicken for an easy lunch one day (highly recommended).
And the one thing I haven’t mentioned? I’m really digging these pictures. Now that I’m spending a little more time with my camera and devoting more free time to learning and practice, I feel like I’m finally beginning to touch on my style.
Anyway, I hope you love this recipe! I’ll be posting a casserole that uses this sauce soon. If you make and use this sauce, please leave me a comment or tag me on social media so I can see your creative combinations!
Creamy Cauliflower “Cheese” SaucePrint
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ghee or coconut oil
- 2-3 cups cauliflower florets, broken into chunks
- 1-2 cups bone broth or water
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon tapioca flour
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Fill a pot 1/4 of the way full with water. Set a metal colander or steaming basket over the water (being sure the colander is not submerged in water) and add the cauliflower florets. Bring the water to a boil. If using a colander, cover the cauliflower with the pot lid (it doesn’t have to perfectly fit, but it helps to hold the steam in!). Steam for 10-15 minutes or until fork tender.
- Meanwhile, melt the ghee in a small skillet over low heat. Add garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes until soft and fragrant.
- Add steamed cauliflower, sautéed garlic, 1 cup broth, and the rest of the ingredients to a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth, adding more broth until desired consistency is reached. Alternatively, you can add all ingredients to a deep pot and use an immersion blender to blend.
Inspired by Pinch of Yum’s Creamy Cauliflower Sauce
Keywords: Creamy Cauliflower “Cheese” Sauce