This decadent no bake coffee chocolate custard recipe is dairy free, gluten free, paleo, and low carb! You’ll love every bite of this rich, easy dessert.
- In a medium heat-safe bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and honey. Set aside. Prepare a double boiler by filling the bottom with water to 1 inch below the top level pot. Add coconut milk, sea salt, and coffee to the top pot. Bring the water in the double boiler just to a boil, then reduce heat to low to keep at a simmer.
- Gradually pour 1-2 cups of the coconut milk mixture into the egg yolk mixture while whisking continuously to temper the eggs. Be careful here — you want to pour in slowly so the egg yolks don’t cook! Once the mixture is smooth, pour back into the double boiler.
- Continue to cook over low heat, whisking frequently, for about 15 minutes. You’ll know the custard is ready when the mixture coats the back of a spoon. Remove from heat. Stir in the vanilla extract. Separate 1 cup of custard and set aside.
- Add the chocolate to the remaining custard, whisking constantly, until the chocolate has completely melted and the mixture is smooth and glossy.
- Pour the chocolate custard into cups, then refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Remove from the fridge and spoon the reserved vanilla custard over each cup as a topping. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
Keywords: custard, no bake, chocolate custard