Plain dutch oven shredded chicken is a staple in my kitchen for quick, easy meal prep. It’s faster than a slow cooker and makes moist, tender shredded chicken breasts every time!
I like prepping shredded chicken for fast, versatile protein throughout the week.
Why a dutch oven? There are many recipes out there for slow cooker shredded chicken, but I’ve found that I prefer using my dutch oven for nearly everything.
Dutch oven shredded chicken only takes 30-40 or so minutes of your time (as opposed to 4 to 5 hours in a slow cooker).
As someone who often struggles with planning ahead, I find myself needing shredded chicken like, now. I don’t have time to wait for the slow cooker!
I never got into using my slow cooker just for shredded chicken. Instead, I took the naive college student route and boiled my chicken breasts.
Now, I would never recommend that to another living soul. Boiling creates tasteless, rubbery shredded chicken. Not cool.
I don’t have a super fancy dutch oven. Sure, it’s on my kitchen wish list, but for now I have an enameled dutch oven I picked up at a garage sale.
It’s not huge and it’s certainly not the best brand in the world. So please don’t assume you have to drop a ton of money on a dutch oven if you don’t already have one.
This couldn’t be simpler.
Preheat the oven to 350. I drizzle just a bit of extra virgin olive oil into my dutch oven. You can totally skip this step. I only do it to prevent the chicken from leaving residue…it makes cleaning that much easier. But since my dutch oven is already enameled, it doesn’t stick much anyway.
Nestle in the chicken breasts. Try to avoid too much overlap so each breast cooks evenly. If you pile chicken breasts on top of one another, the cooking time will change.
Sprinkle on some salt. A teaspoon or so should do it.
Put the cover on the dutch oven and pop in the oven. Set a timer for 30 minutes.
Cook until the internal temperature of the breasts reaches 165 degrees F. Shred those babies with two forks. DONE.
Recipes that Use Shredded Chicken:
- Buffalo Chicken Sweet Potato Egg Bake
- Buffalo Chicken Smothered Sweet Potato Fries
- BBQ Chicken Smothered Sweet Potato Fries
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Spaghetti Squash Casserole
Dutch Oven Shredded Chicken:Print
Make shredded chicken in your dutch oven! Faster than a slow cooker and perfectly juicy, you’ll be surprised how easy it is to prep a bunch of shredded chicken in under an hour.
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil (optional)
- 2 – 2.5 pounds chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- (Optional) Grease the bottom of the dutch oven with olive oil. I do this just to prevent any and all sticking, but many dutch ovens are enameled so it’s not entirely necessary.
- Place chicken breasts in the dutch oven. Try not to overlap too much (overlap could result in extra cooking time). Sprinkle the chicken breasts with salt.
- Cover the dutch oven and bake for 30-40 minutes until chicken breasts are cooked through. Shred using two forks.
The wonderful thing about this “recipe” is how easy it is to play around with it. I’ve used the same method, but for 40 or so minutes at 300 degrees F. If 30 minutes at 350 degrees F isn’t floating your boat, play around with the cooking temp and times (always being sure to fully cook the chicken) to figure out what makes your perfect shredded chicken.
Keywords: Dutch oven shredded chicken