- 1 medium butternut squash
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 medium apple
- 1–2 Tb fresh ginger
- 3–6 cups chicken or bone broth/water (more liquid = thinner consistency)
- ½ c coconut milk
- ½ tsp cayenne
- fresh minced ginger (for garnish, if desired)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut butternut squash in half and scoop out seeds and stringy stuff. Place squash halves and carrots on a baking sheet and roast for about 40 minutes.
- Once squash is soft, remove from oven and let cool for a bit (until you can comfortably work with it without constantly being in fear of burning yourself). If you let it roast long enough, the skin should peel off fairly easily. Peel it off. Peel it all off.
- If using a Vitamix, add ingredients and blend for about 5 min or until hot. I had to break it up into 2 batches.
- If you’re using a regular blender that can’t heat, add all ingredients (in batches as necessary), blend until smooth, and pour the soup into a pot. Heat the soup over medium-low heat until hot.
- Garnish with fresh minced ginger, if desired.
*If you use water or vegetable broth in place of chicken/bone broth, this recipe is vegetarian/vegan friendly.