Gingerbread Plantain Cake
- 3 large ripe yellow plantains (~3 cups pureed plantain – the more ripe, the better!)
- 6 eggs
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 c blackstrap molasses
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
Maple Cashew Frosting
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Peel plantains. Combine all ingredients in a high-powered blender or large food processor and blend until smooth.
- Pour into well-seasoned and oiled 12-inch cast iron pan (or 9 inch round cake pan for a thicker cake) and bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- While the cake is baking, soak the cashews and rinse out the blender. After the cashews have soaked for 30 minutes, drain them and add them to the blender along with the other frosting ingredients. Blend for 3-5 minutes or until completely smooth.
- Once the cake has cooled, slather the frosting all over that baby. Take a picture, send it to me, then serve.
- Serving Size: 1 slice