With molasses and a homemade spice mix, these light and fluffy gluten free gingerbread waffles are a perfect breakfast treat! If you’re in a rush, don’t separate the egg whites and yolks. But if you want breakfast magic, don’t skip that step!
For the gingerbread waffles
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 cup arrowroot flour
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon gingerbread spice (see below)
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk (such as cashew or almond milk)
- 1/2 cup melted unrefined coconut oil or ghee
- 2 tablespoons organic molasses (not blackstrap)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs, yolks and whites divided
For the gingerbread spice mix
- Add the spices for the gingerbread spice mix to a small jar or bowl and stir until fully combined. Store in an airtight jar until ready to use.
- Preheat a waffle iron using manufacturer’s directions.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the almond flour, arrowroot flour, coconut sugar, baking soda, and 1 teaspoon gingerbread spice, stirring with a spatula until fully combined.
- Separate the egg whites from the yolks, adding the whites to a small mixing bowl. Add the egg yolks to a separate bowl along with the non-dairy milk, coconut oil/ghee, molasses, and vanilla extract. Whisk until smooth. Add the wet ingredients (except for the egg whites) to the dry ingredients and stir until fully combined.
- Using a hand mixer, stand mixer, or whisking by hand, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form, about 5 minutes. You’ll know the egg whites are ready when they’re light and fluffy and the peaks no longer dissolve back into themselves when you pause beating. Immediately fold the egg whites into the waffle batter with a spatula, stirring just until combined.
- Add the batter to the waffle maker, using manufacturer’s instructions to cook to your liking (5 minutes at medium-high for my waffle maker). Serve with maple syrup or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
Keywords: gluten free, waffles, gingerbread, paleo, gluten free waffles, gingerbread waffles