For the Okonomiyaki
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 cups thinly sliced cabbage
- 5 eggs
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup potato starch
- 2/3 cup cassava flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon black sesame seeds
- 1 sheet nori, crumbled (~1/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 9-10 strips uncured bacon or pork belly, cut into 3-inch slices.
For the Mayo Drizzle
- 1/4 cup paleo mayo
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
For the Sauce
- Bonito flakes, for garnish
- Sliced green onions, for garnish
- Prepare the mayo topping by mixing all the ingredients in a bowl. Set aside.
- To make the sauce, add all ingredients to a saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Boil for 2 minutes, then remove from heat. The sauce will thicken a bit as it cools.
- Add olive oil to a large skillet and heat over medium heat. Meanwhile, combine the eggs, water, potato starch, cassava flour, sea salt, black pepper, chili flakes, garlic, black sesame seeds, nori, and sliced green onions in a large bowl, mixing until a thick batter is formed. Add the thinly sliced cabbage and stir until the cabbage is coated evenly with the batter. It will seem like there’s not enough batter for all the cabbage…but keep stirring! Trust me, there’s enough.
- Drop a large scoopful of batter into the hot skillet. Use a spatula to flatten and form a pancake. Arrange 3-4 strips of bacon or pork belly on top of the pancake.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes, then carefully flip. The pancake should stick together as you flip it – if it doesn’t, you may need to turn up the heat a little to make sure it’s cooking! Cook for an additional 5 minutes, then transfer to a plate, bacon side up. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Garnish each pancake with drizzles of the mayo mixture and sauce. Sprinkle with bonito flakes and sliced green onions. Eat immediately!
- Serving Size: 1 large okonamiyaki
Keywords: Okonomiyaki, gluten free okonamiyaki