Hazelnut Mocha Energy Balls are the perfect way to take your day up a notch. Each little snack is an irresistible combination of hazelnut, cocoa, and coffee. Yes, coffee!
These paleo energy balls have no added sugar and use just a handful of ingredients. The touch of sweetness comes from dates – that’s it!
Anyway, this hazelnut mocha energy balls recipe isn’t meant to be a dessert. Instead, it’s a chocolatey snack for when you need a little boost in your day. Between truffles and fat bombs and energy bites like these, it’s easy to assume that they all belong nestled in a box of real food chocolates… But nope, not these little guys.
Even though this recipe has dates, they’re not the primary flavor here. They do add a little sweetness, but mostly the gooey dates just help hold these hazelnut mocha energy balls together.
So if you were hoping for a truffle-type dessert, look elsewhere. If you’re looking for a dark chocolate snack to nibble on with your morning coffee, these are perfect. (Because who doesn’t want to eat a coffee-flavored snack while you’re drinking coffee? I’m making fun, but actually, honestly, it’s a dream.)
I don’t make snacks like these too often, but every once in a while it’s nice to have easy food on hand between meals, in the mornings (since I don’t always eat breakfast), or before a workout when I feel like I need an extra somethin’ to get my butt in gear.
I mean, it’s like taking everyone’s favorite chocolate hazelnut spread and adding a little dollop of coffee. Anyone gonna say no to that? I didn’t think so.
Plus, they’re totally portable. They do hold up better while refrigerated, but I can put a couple in a small storage container and bring ’em with wherever my legs take me!
Besides all the overall flavor and portability of these little hazelnut mocha energy balls, the ingredients themselves make this snack pretty awesome. Case in point:
- Hazelnuts, while high in fat like other nuts, are a source of calcium, magnesium, vitamin B, and vitamin E. (The B vitamins are known as energy vitamins, so that’s super!)
- Cocoa powder has a bit of magnesium and contains flavonoids, which act as antioxidants.
- Maca powder contains minerals like manganese, magnesium, iron, and zinc, to name a few. It also has a bit of a reputation as a hormone balancer, and supposedly boosts libido.
- Dates are a source of B vitamins and minerals like magnesium, calcium, and zinc.
- Coffee is just straight up amazing. ‘Nuff said.
Hazelnut Mocha Energy Balls Recipe