Hazelnut Mocha Energy Balls are the perfect way to take your day up a notch. Each little snack is an irresistible combination of hazelnut, cocoa, and coffee. Yes, coffee!
These paleo energy balls have no added sugar and use just a handful of ingredients. The touch of sweetness comes from dates – that’s it!
Anyway, this hazelnut mocha energy balls recipe isn’t meant to be a dessert. Instead, it’s a chocolatey snack for when you need a little boost in your day. Between truffles and fat bombs and energy bites like these, it’s easy to assume that they all belong nestled in a box of real food chocolates… But nope, not these little guys.
Even though this recipe has dates, they’re not the primary flavor here. They do add a little sweetness, but mostly the gooey dates just help hold these hazelnut mocha energy balls together.
So if you were hoping for a truffle-type dessert, look elsewhere. If you’re looking for a dark chocolate snack to nibble on with your morning coffee, these are perfect. (Because who doesn’t want to eat a coffee-flavored snack while you’re drinking coffee? I’m making fun, but actually, honestly, it’s a dream.)
I don’t make snacks like these too often, but every once in a while it’s nice to have easy food on hand between meals, in the mornings (since I don’t always eat breakfast), or before a workout when I feel like I need an extra somethin’ to get my butt in gear.
I mean, it’s like taking everyone’s favorite chocolate hazelnut spread and adding a little dollop of coffee. Anyone gonna say no to that? I didn’t think so.
Plus, they’re totally portable. They do hold up better while refrigerated, but I can put a couple in a small storage container and bring ’em with wherever my legs take me!
Besides all the overall flavor and portability of these little hazelnut mocha energy balls, the ingredients themselves make this snack pretty awesome. Case in point:
- Hazelnuts, while high in fat like other nuts, are a source of calcium, magnesium, vitamin B, and vitamin E. (The B vitamins are known as energy vitamins, so that’s super!)
- Cocoa powder has a bit of magnesium and contains flavonoids, which act as antioxidants.
- Maca powder contains minerals like manganese, magnesium, iron, and zinc, to name a few. It also has a bit of a reputation as a hormone balancer, and supposedly boosts libido.
- Dates are a source of B vitamins and minerals like magnesium, calcium, and zinc.
- Coffee is just straight up amazing. ‘Nuff said.
Hazelnut Mocha Energy Balls Recipe
- In a food processor, grind up the hazelnuts until they start to clump together. If you’ve ever made nut butter before, you want the hazelnuts to be between nut butter and a floury meal. It should clump together easily, but shouldn’t be a spreadable butter.
- Add in the softened dates, cacao powder, maca powder, and sea salt. Process until the mixture is uniform and forms one big ball. Add the coffee grounds and pulse to incorporate.
- Plate a sheet of parchment paper on a baking sheet or plate. Using your hands, form the mixture into ping pong-sized balls and place on the baking sheet. Transfer to the fridge to firm them up.
- At this point, they’re ready to go. Or you can roll them in unsweetened coconut, coconut sugar, cacao powder, or sea salt to add some extra flair! Store them in the fridge in an airtight container for up to two weeks.
Not a date fan? Use dried black mission figs! Just remove the stems and soften in hot water.