Use this simple homemade halva recipe to make this sesame candy at home! My version is gluten free and paleo, using coconut sugar instead of cane sugar.
- Line a square baking pan with parchment paper.
- Heat coconut sugar, vanilla bean, lemon zest, and water in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring to dissolve. Simmer mixture, without stirring, until the temperature reads 245 degrees on a candy thermometer.
- While the syrup is cooking, combine tahini and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat on medium speed. While beating, slowly stream syrup into tahini. Aim for the side of the bowl where the tahini meets the edge to prevent splatters.
- Mix until the syrup is fully incorporated and the mixture begins to pull away from the sides of the bowl. This happens very quickly (30 seconds to a minute), so watch carefully! If you overmix the mixture, the oils will separate.
- Working quickly, use a heatproof spatula to transfer the mixture to the prepared pan. Place an additional piece of parchment paper overtop the mixture and use your hands to flatten and smooth it out. Cool completely at room temperature, then refrigerate for at least 24 hours to allow sugar crystals to form. Cut into cubes and serve. Store wrapped in plastic or in an airtight temperature for a week at room temperature or for months in the fridge.
Keywords: Halva Recipe