This simple creamy dairy free Italian Sausage and Broccoli Soup makes the perfect comforting meal for cool evenings. Want to mix things up? Add some cauliflower florets with the broccoli or stir in some kale during the last minute of cooking.
- 12 ounces Italian sausage (I like this brand), casings removed if using links
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 32 oz chicken or bone broth (about 4 cups)
- 1 small head of broccoli, chopped into small florets
- 2 cups sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add sausage and cook for about 5 minutes, breaking the meat up into small pieces with a spatula, until cooked through. Transfer to a bowl and set aside for later.
- Using the same pot, increase heat to medium-high. Add the remaining olive oil, garlic, onion, thyme, salt, and pepper. Saute for about 4 minutes or until softened.
- Pour in the coconut milk and broth, scraping any bits off the bottom of the pan. Bring to a boil. Add the broccoli, mushrooms, and sausage, simmering for about 2 minutes until the broccoli is bright green and not completely cooked through. Garnish with parsley and serve immediately.
Keywords: Italian sausage and broccoli soup, soup recipe, paleo, keto