This hearty kale, apple, and sweet potato salad is perfect for lunch or dinner on chilly autumn days! It does require a bit of work, but you can prep the kale, sweet potatoes, and dressing in advance to make this salad a cinch to make before eating. Serve this salad warm — you won’t regret it!
For the Salad:
- 2 cups cubed sweet potato
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 cups kale, roughly chopped
- 1 carrot, ribboned
- 1 large chicken breast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups chopped granny smith apples (1-2 apples)
- 3 tablespoons slivered almonds
For the Dressing:
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Toss the cubed sweet potato with 1 tablespoon olive oil and arrange in a single layer on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, stirring halfway through, until sweet potato is tender and browned at the edges. Remove from the oven and allow to cool before transferring to a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, prepare kale for the oven. In a large bowl, massage kale with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Transfer to the baking sheet used to bake the sweet potato. Bake for about 10 minutes or until wilted and crisped at the edges. Transfer to the same bowl as the sweet potato.
- Use a vegetable peeler to ribbon the carrot by “peeling” the carrot lengthwise down the carrot until you can no longer peel anymore. Add the carrot ribbons to the bowl along with the chopped apples.
- Preheat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Pound the chicken breast to uniform thickness and season with salt and pepper. Add the chicken breast to the skillet and cook for 5 minutes on each side before transferring to a plate or cutting board to rest. Once the chicken breast has rested for 2-3 minutes, slice thinly.
- To make the dressing, combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and whisk until smooth. Add additional coconut milk, as necessary, to thin out the dressing to your liking.
- Toss the kale, sweet potato, carrot ribbons, and apples together. Split the mixture between two plates or bowls. Place half the chicken on each salad, then sprinkle with slivered almonds. Drizzle half the dressing on to each salad, and eat immediately.
Keywords: Warm Kale Apple Sweet Potato Salad