Using simple ingredients and fuss-free cook time, this leek, mushroom, and chicken soup is paleo, low carb, keto, and Whole30-friendly!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups thinly sliced leeks (about 2 leeks)
- 4 cups thinly sliced cremini mushrooms (about 1 pound)
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos or tamari
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 3 cups bone or chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 1-inch piece ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2–3 cups cubed leftover boneless, skinless chicken breasts (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a pot over medium heat. Add leeks and saute for about 5 minutes, until softened and vibrant. Add the mushrooms and garlic, continuing to saute for another 3 minutes. Pour in the coconut aminos and stir to coat. Add the coconut milk, broth, cumin, turmeric, ginger, red chili flakes, sea salt, and black pepper. Stir to combine. Let the mixture simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Add chicken and stir to combine. Simmer for another 5 minutes, until chicken has warmed up. Serve immediately.
To poach raw chicken breast for this recipe: sprinkle chicken breasts with a little sea salt and pepper on both sides. Oil the bottom of a deep skillet or pot and place the chicken on in the pot in a single layer. Cover completely with water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then immediately reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for an additional 10-15 minutes. Remove from poaching liquid and chop up for the recipe!
Keywords: leek mushroom chicken soup, leeks, paleo, low carb, gluten free, keto, Whole30