This Whole30 Lemon Chicken Piccata with Roasted Asparagus is ready to serve after only 20 minutes of cooking! Serve it with mashed potatoes or mashed cauliflower, if desired, for a full and nourishing plate.
For the Lemon Chicken Piccata:
- 2 small lemons, cut into thin rounds
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed and halved
- 4 (6-ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded to 3/4-inch thickness
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons ghee or grass-fed butter, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 oregano sprig
- 1 thyme sprig
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon cassava flour
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
For the Oven-Roasted Asparagus:
- 1 lb asparagus
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- First, make the asparagus. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place asparagus on the baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss to coat, then spread out evenly on the baking sheet. Transfer to the oven and bake for 12-15 minutes, or until done.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken breasts with salt and pepper on both sides. Add to skillet, cooking or 4 minutes on each side and working in batches if necessary. Remove chicken to a plate to rest.
- Add 2 teaspoons olive oil to the skillet. Add the lemon slices and garlic, ensuring the the lemon slices all have contact with the skillet surface (again, work in batches if necessary). Cook for 1-2 minutes on each side, then remove lemon slices and garlic to a bowl.
- Add 1/2 tablespoon ghee, minced garlic, oregano sprig, and thyme sprig to the skillet. Pour in the apple cider vinegar, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the skillet. Cook, stirring frequently, until the liquid has almost evaporated. Add the cassava flour and broth, whisking to combine in the skillet. Bring to a boil, then cook until reduced by about half. Discard oregano and thyme. Stir in remaining ghee until pan sauce is smooth. Top each chicken breast with lemons, capers, and pan sauce. Serve with roasted asparagus.
Keywords: lemon chicken piccata