Loaded scalloped potatoes make quite the showstopper! With dairy free sour cream, bacon, mushrooms, and chives, it’s a comfort food take on an elegant side dish.
- 3 tablespoons ghee (recommended) or extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup cassava flour
- 1 cup bone broth or stock
- 1 cup almond milk or coconut milk
- 1 cup dairy free sour cream, divided (I used this brand)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 4 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, sliced into 1/8-inch rounds
- 8 ounces uncured bacon, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons dried or fresh chives
- 1 cup sliced cremini mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons sliced scallions
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a 9×13 inch casserole dish with ghee or olive oil.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the bacon and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until bacon has crisped. Transfer bacon to a plate.
- Melt ghee in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the sliced onion, sauteeing for 4-5 minutes until soft and translucent. Add the garlic and saute for an additional 1-2 minutes until fragrant. Stir in the cassava flour until it is evenly combines, cooking for at least 1 minute. Slowly pour in the bone broth or stock, whisking constantly. Add the milk, salt, pepper, thyme, and nutritional yeast, whisking until combined. Continue cooking for 1-2 minutes until the sauce begins to simmer (but doesn’t boil) around the edges of the pan and thickens. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Arrange half of the sliced potatoes in an even layer on the bottom of the casserole dish. Top evenly with half of the cream sauce, a quarter of the crisped bacon pieces, 1/2 tablespoon of chives, and half of the mushrooms. Repeat with the remaining potatoes, cream sauce, mushrooms, and another quarter of the bacon pieces.
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and continue baking for another 25-30 minutes, or until potatoes are cooked through and slightly browned on top.
- Remove from the oven and let cool slightly. Before serving, top with remaining sour cream, bacon, chives, and scallions.
Keywords: paleo, whole30, dairy free, gluten free, scalloped potatoes