This Whole30 and keto slow cooker gumbo requires little prep for a flavorful, spicy meal! If you’d like to add shrimp, toss it in for the last 15-20 minutes of cooking. Serve with white rice, cauliflower rice, or enjoy as is.
For the Gumbo:
- 2 tablespoons ghee or butter
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/3 cup cassava flour
- 2 medium white onions, diced
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 green bell peppers, diced
- 1 package (12 ounces) hot Italian sausage, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/4 cup Creole seasoning (see below)
- 6 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1 32-oz can crushed tomatoes (optional)
- 1 bay leaf
For the Creole Seasoning:
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons fine sea salt
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- Heat ghee and 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the cassava flour, whisking constantly, to make a roux. Continue to whisk for about 15 minutes, until roux turns to a chocolate brown color, lowering heat as necessary to prevent burning. Slowly whisk in about half the broth, then transfer to the slow cooker crock.
- Add remaining tablespoon olive oil, onion, celery, and green pepper to the same skillet. Cook for 3 minutes or until softened. Transfer to the slow cooker crock. Add the sausage, chicken thighs, Creole seasoning, remaining broth, and (optionally) tomatoes. Stir to combine. Finally, add the bay leaf on top.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 6 1/2 hours or on HIGH for 3 1/2 to 4 hours. Remove bay leaf before serving.
- Serve over cauliflower rice, white rice, or as-is in a bowl. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week, or freeze for up to 2 months.
Keywords: slow cooker, paleo, keto, Whole30, gumbo