Both sweet and salty, Maple Bacon Asparagus makes the perfect paleo and gluten free side dish for warmer weather.
Spring is here, which means asparagus is in season! This is THE time to pick up these wondrous stalks and create some epic meals. With an easy maple vinaigrette and crispy bacon pieces, this is a simple way to take asparagus up a notch.
Bacon + asparagus: a match made in heaven
I’m definitely in the camp of “bacon makes almost everything better” but in this case, it’s most definitely true regardless of your affinity for bacon. Bacon and asparagus just go together. ‘Nuff said.
Bacon delivers a lot of umami flavor, which simply categorizes it as savory taste… Of course, though, we all know “savory taste” is a more official way of saying it’s damn good and we want more of it.
Add that umami flavor to asparagus, and something special happens. Sure, I’d likely say the same thing about any bacon + veggie combo, but there’s a reason bacon-wrapped asparagus is the most popular recipe on Do You Even Paleo right now. The two just go together.
Making maple vinaigrette
A crucial piece of this recipe is the maple vinaigrette you’re going to drench the asparagus with.
So, let’s dive in to the components. This vinaigrette has just 4 ingredients, and one is a happy consequence of cooking bacon — bacon fat!
With that bacon fat, red wine vinegar, stoneground mustard, and maple syrup, this vinaigrette packs briney and sweet flavor in a small package.
You don’t have to use all the vinaigrette for the asparagus if you don’t want to, but I sure did. Conversely, you could double the vinaigrette recipe and save half of it for other salad creations or as a sauce for chicken/pork. It’s one of those vinaigrettes that goes great with lots of food!
More gluten free side dish recipes
- Bacon-Wrapped Asparagus (W30)
- Paleo Scalloped Potatoes (W30)
- Chipotle Honey Roasted Carrots
- Roasted Beets with Parsley (W30)
- Tomato and Cucumber Salad with Mustard Vinaigrette (W30)
Lean in to seasonal Spring produce with this Maple Bacon Asparagus recipe! This is a showstopper perfect for dinner parties, get togethers, or just impressing your family. It’s gluten free and paleo, too!
- Move oven rack to the mid to high level. Preheat broiler on high and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Toss the asparagus spears in olive oil and salt. Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet. Broil for 8-10 minutes, stirring once halfway.
- Meanwhile, preheat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the bacon and cook for 4-5 minutes, flipping once halfway through. Remove bacon and crumble. Spoon out 3 tablespoons of bacon fat, transferring to a heat-safe bowl or jar. Whisk in the red wine vinegar, mustard, and maple syrup. Taste, and add more maple syrup, 1/4 teaspoon at a time, until desired sweetness level is reached. Drizzle the maple vinaigrette over asparagus and top with crumbled bacon.
Keywords: Maple bacon asparagus