This mashed plantains recipe is stupid simple, versatile, and can be made in bulk for meals throughout the week.
Even better: I’ve included both a sweet and savory option so you can use this recipe with unripe, green plantains and ripened yellow-black plantains.
Both recipe options are paleo, gluten free, and Whole30, with vegetarian and vegan substitutions.
*This post was originally published 8/29/2016 and and was updated 4/3/20 with better photos and tips to make the post more useful.
Plantains have been a favorite ingredient of mine for years. Despite being born and raised in the Midwest with German-Russian heritage, I’ve quickly latched on to this African staple starch.
Want to learn more about plantains? I wrote a whole article about ‘em — what plantains are, their nutritional value, and how to cook them.
With this mashed plantains recipe, I’m going back to basics.
For both versions, the method is the same; the ingredients just differ slightly between the two.
Pair either version with a variety of meals — shredded beef or pork, grilled chicken, plantain and olive beef bowls.
How long does it take for plantains to boil?
For this recipe, you’ll boil the plantains for 7 to 10 minutes.
The boiling time depends partially on the size of your plantains and their ripeness. Green plantains, for the savory version of this recipe, tend to take a little longer to boil. You may need to stretch the boil time a little longer than 10 minutes, even!
But since you’ll also cut the plantains down into 3-4 large chunks before boiling, the cook time shouldn’t get too long.
Equipment for this recipe
If you want to see my favorite kitchen equipment, shop my Amazon Page, where I’ve rounded up my top picks!
Or check out my dream kitchen collection on Food52.
More plantain recipes you’ve got to try:
- Plantain Tortillas (Two Ways)
- Crazy Easy Plantain Patties
- Plantain Gnocchi with Savory Short Ribs
- 3 Ingredient Plantain Cake
- Flourless Plantain Skillet Brownie
- Flourless Plantain Empanadas
- Plantain & Olive Beef Bowls
Need an easy way to prepare plantains? Try this simple mashed plantains recipe! There are two versions – sweet and savory – to suit your needs. Paleo, gluten free, and Whole30.
- 2 large plantains
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup ghee, melted
- 1 clove garlic, minced (~1 teaspoon)
- Fill a large pot 3/4 full with water. Slice lengthwise down the peel of each plantain and chop each plantain horizontally into 3 or 4 chunks. No need to peel it now—it’s significantly easier to peel after boiling!
- Add the plantain chunks to the pot and bring the water to boiling. Boil for 7 to 10 minutes, until the plantains can easily be pierced with a fork.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the plantain. Pull the peels off and discard. Put the plantain in a large bowl, add the rest of the ingredients, and mash with a potato masher. Add more liquid (ghee or coconut milk) to get to your desired consistency. Easy. As. Pie.
Keywords: Mashed Plantains