Your summer potlucks just got an upgrade thanks to this Mediterranean Cauliflower Salad!
Tender steamed cauliflower serves as a solid base, with roasted bell peppers, olives, red onion, parsley, and a simple dressing to create unmistakable Mediterranean flavor and color. Serve this hearty paleo and Whole30 salad at your next get-together for mega compliments.
I’m more excited than ever for summer and everything it brings.
I’m excited for grilling out, laid back barbecues, an ice-cold LaCroix, and big ass salads crafted with vegetables from local farmers. Evening walks with the man spouse, working out with the garage door open at the gym, and yoga in the sun on the balcony. Trips to state parks, sitting outside with the man spouse drinking morning coffee as the sun rises, and cold brew coffee on repeat.
Oh, and my first complete summer as a wedding photographer. No doubt it’s going to be a full season, but one full of laughter and happiness and fun.
So, I’ve been more and more eager to create entertaining-friendly salads… Preferably salads that don’t necessarily involve lettuce. Veggie-licious side dishes that are your best bets for potlucks and get togethers.
I think this Mediterranean Cauliflower Salad hits the mark perfectly.
Why? Well, a double batch of this salad will feed a sizeable crowd. And it can hang out on a picnic table all day and essentially marinate more—meaning it’s not going to get soggy and questionable like lettuce would.
Plus, this salad features lovely, sweet strips of roast bell peppers and briney green olives. Oh, there are many wonderful things going on in this salad! If you’re anything like me, you’re going to have trouble sharing (no shame in that).
If you’ve made it already, try some of these ideas for putting a fresh spin on this recipe!
First, you could add a teaspoon of fresh minced oregano or fresh cilantro. Or use differently-colored bell peppers to alter the visual appeal. Finally, sub out the red wine vinegar for an extra tablespoon of lemon juice for more citrusy flavor.
More Summery Salads to Try
- Tomato and Cucumber Salad with Mustard Vinaigrette
- Mediterranean Watermelon Salad
- Grilled Peach & Walnut Salad with Honey Mustard Vinaigrette
- Thai Cabbage Salad with Sunbutter Dressing
Mediterranean Cauliflower Salad Recipe
Your summer potlucks just got an upgrade thanks to this paleo & Whole30 Mediterranean Cauliflower Salad! Tender steamed cauliflower serves as a solid base, with roasted bell peppers, olives, red onion, parsley, and a simple dressing to create unmistakable Mediterranean flavor and color.
- 1 large head of cauliflower, trimmed & cut into florets
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped green olives
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- Set a steamer basket in a large saucepan. Fill the pan with water up to (but not touching) the bottom of the basket. Bring water to a boil over high heat. Add the cauliflower florets and cover. Steam for 5 to 8 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, prep the bell peppers. Halve the bell peppers and remove the seeds. Set the oven to broil on high. Place each bell pepper cut side down on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Broil for 5-10 minutes, until tender and skin has blackened in spots. Remove from oven and transfer to a bowl. Cover the bowl with a dish towel and let cool for 5 minutes. Remove the skin (it should slide off fairly easily). Slice into strips.
- Transfer cauliflower to a large bowl. Add roasted bell peppers, red onion, parsley, chopped olives, crushed red pepper, and celery. Toss to combine.
- Whisk together extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, black pepper, and salt. Pour dressing over vegetables and toss gently.
- Cover and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes to 1 hour. If serving cold, refrigerate up to 4 hours.
Keywords: Mediterranean Cauliflower Salad, cauliflower bell pepper salad, cauliflower salad