Creating a one-skillet chicken meal serves a couple different uses for me. First off, this One-Skillet Chicken with Mushrooms & Sun-Dried Tomatoes makes a hearty and simple meal for you. One skillet meals are the ticket to a quick but fulfilling meal.
Second, it allows me to practice some kitchen techniques I haven’t had much experience with in the past. I sincerely enjoy learning new cooking skills, so this catapulted to the top of my recipe testing list after I saw similar recipes around the web.
What cooking skills am I talking about? Cutlets and pan sauces. I grew up in a home where almost every meal came from a box or a can, so the idea of “breading” my own meat and making my own sauce just seemed too complicated an outlandish. But those skills are pretty basic, and learning them opens up a whole new approach to dinner.
At its most basic, this recipe is all about simple chicken breast cutlets (made by “breading” and pan-frying) and pan sauce. The mushrooms and sun-dried tomatoes are what make this recipe unique based on those basics.
So why the talk about cooking skills and basics? Well, I constantly hear friends lament about “I wish I could cook like that” or “I burn everything I cook.” Cooking is a skill. Like all other skills in life, you’ve got to practice. Yes, you’ll make mistakes and burn things along the way.
I know firsthand how daunting recipes can seem. But when you boil things down to basics, it seems much easier to approach!
Often I talk to people who bake a lot, but who don’t think they can cook. I used to be in the same boat.
Now, I find that whole concept funny—baking, in my opinion, is way more complicated than cooking. Baking is very precise. Try making substitutions or modifications to a cake recipe without knowing all the basics, and you’re on your way to a disaster. Cooking, on the other hand, is much more forgiving.
I knew this one-skillet chicken recipe was headed in the right direction the first time I whipped it up. My man spouse, typically skeptical of anything new I make (both a blessing and a curse for a food blogger), took a hesitant bite and then gladly inhaled everything on the plate. Quite the win for me!
One-Skillet Chicken with Mushrooms & Sun-Dried TomatoesPrint
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts (2 large chicken breasts)
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1.5 ounces (3/4 cup) sun-dried tomatoes
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, chopped (or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary)
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup bone broth or chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Fresh chopped parsley, for garnish
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Lay out the chicken breasts on a flat surface and pound them to uniform size.
- In a large bowl, combine 1/4 cup arrowroot powder and 1 teaspoon salt. Toss the chicken breasts in the bowl until they’re completely coated. Add the chicken breasts to the skillet and cook for about 3 minutes on each side. Transfer the chicken breasts to a plate and set aside.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil in the same skillet. Add the garlic and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 3 minutes or until soft. Toss in the sun-dried tomatoes, mushrooms, and rosemary, cooking for another 2 minutes. Sprinkle in the remaining tablespoon of arrowroot powder and stir to coat the veggies. Add the white wine vinegar and cook for 1 minute or until the liquid has reduced by about half. Stir in coconut milk, bone broth, remaining 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, and black pepper. Nestle the chicken breasts among the veggies and sauce and cook for 5 minutes, until the chicken breasts have cooked through and the sauce has thickened. Remove from heat and garnish with fresh parsley before serving.
If you want to add a little more flavor to the sauce, squeeze 1-2 teaspoons of fresh lemon juice into it at the very end, just before serving.
Keywords: One-Skillet Chicken with Mushrooms & Sun-Dried Tomatoes