What’s cracker-in’? (Yes, I truly am that lame.)
I created these paleo graham crackers for a personal project, but it’s fitting to share the goods with you, too!
Turns out gluten free graham crackers are just as easy as whipping up a tray of fresh-baked muffins. Actually, it might even be easier than that!
What personal project did I create paleo graham crackers for?
Well, each year for Christmas, we make homemade marshmallows for our loved ones. And I don’t know about you, but it doesn’t take much marshmallow brainstorming to fixate on s’mores.
So this year, we gifted our friends and family jumbo marshmallows sandwiched between homemade graham crackers. Oh, and we can’t forget the chocolate — that’s the glue that holds the marshmallows to the crackers.
In my quest to make s’mores happen, I had to develop a graham cracker recipe. Now, no one we’ll gift these to care at all about paleo or gluten free, but I am a paleo blogger so I kind of have to stick in that niche. Plus, I don’t remember the last time I spent money on wheat flour. Years.
And as soon as I hit the mark with this recipe, I knew I was going to share these paleo graham crackers with you. Could just be me, but it’s incredibly rewarding to make perfect crackers.
Okay, perfect is a bit of a stretch. Nothing in this world is perfect. But are these the best damn gluten free graham crackers in existence? Probably.
How to make homemade crackers
You’ve probably never made homemade crackers before, so let’s go over a few tips and tricks!
At first glance, the recipe resembles pretty much all baking recipes ever. Mix the dry ingredients. Mix the wet ingredients. Mix ’em all together.
The MOST IMPORTANT tip I have, though, is to let the graham crackers cool longer than you think. You’ve got to let them sit and cool and crisp.
If you don’t wait long enough, they’ll simply be chewy. Still good, but definitely not cracker-level crackers.
Let them cool overnight. You won’t be sorry.
Best way to use these homemade graham crackers?
Paleo S’Mores Bars. You’re welcome!Print
Crispy and crunchy with that iconic graham flavor, these homemade paleo graham crackers are perfect for s’mores or snacking!
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine the almond flour, arrowroot flour, sea salt, coconut sugar, and baking soda in a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, coconut oil, and molasses until smooth. Add to the dry ingredients and mix until a uniform dough forms. Chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Transfer the dough to the baking sheet and place a second equal-sized sheet of parchment paper overtop the dough. Use a rolling pin to roll out the dough to about 1/8-1/4“ thickness. Use a pizza cutter to cut into rectangles and use a fork to prick holes on the tops of the crackers.
- Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until the edges turn golden brown. The centers will seem too soft, but don’t let that fool you! Remove from the oven and let cool completely (this will take a while). Once cooled and crisp, break the crackers into individual squares.
Keywords: paleo graham crackers