- 8 ounces uncured bacon
- 1 large ripe (yellow) plantain, peeled and sliced into long thin strips
- 12 eggs
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced chives
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Heat a large (10 to 12 inch) cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Chop the bacon into 1-inch pieces. Add to the skillet and cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the bacon is crispy. Transfer the bacon to a plate. Pour out about half of the bacon fat, reserving 2-3 tablespoons.
- While the bacon is cooking, crack the eggs into a large bowl and beat with a wire whisk or a fork. Add the chives, sea salt, and black pepper.
- Lay plantain strips in the cast iron and fry for about 2 minutes in the reserved bacon fat. Flip the plantain strips and immediately sprinkle the bacon into the pan, followed by the beaten egg mixture. Transfer to the oven and bake for 15-18 minutes until the eggs are cooked through.
For an extra-fluffy frittata, beat the eggs until frothy just before adding to the pan, while the plantain strips are frying. This adds extra oxygen to the egg mixture that doesn’t have time to escape before you pour it in and cook.
- Serving Size: 1/4 frittata
Keywords: Plantain bacon chive frittata