Looking for something to do with leftover ham? Give this quick sauteed collard greens recipe a try!
With a simple sauce, crispy bits of ham, and a heaping pile of good-for-you greens, this side dish is paleo, gluten free, and low carb.
A perfect leftover ham recipe
Whether you’ve got leftover ham on hand from an Easter meal or you just like ham, sauteed collard greens are a great way to repurpose those leftovers into a simple new meal.
With 2 cups of ham and 6 whopping cups of collard greens, I consider this more of a side dish than a meal.
That said, if you’ve got a bucketload of leftover ham to use up, simply add more to bulk up that protein and treat this sauteed collard greens recipe as more of a leftover ham with collard greens situation.
What is a gastrique?
This sauteed collard greens recipe uses a simple gastrique to flavor the dish and tie it all together.
Most of you out there likely have no idea what the heck I’m talking about. Gastrique?! Resist the urge to high tail it out of here. Trust me, this is a lot easier than you think!
Simply put, a gastrique is a simple reduction of vinegar and sweetener that’s used as a glaze/sauce/etc. to add flavor to a dish.
And making it isn’t complicated, either!
How to make a gastrique
The recipe will walk you through the steps, but just to let you know how simple this is:
- Add the vinegar, maple syrup, and hot sauce (just for a little kick!) to a saucepan.
- Bring it to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
See? You can make a gastrique!
More quick side dish recipes to try
- Simple Stovetop Garlic Herb Carrots
- Roasted Garlic Butter Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Best Greek Salad with Lemon Oregano Vinaigrette
- Mediterranean Cauliflower Salad
With a simple sauce, crispy bits of leftover ham, and a pile of good-for-you greens, these sauteed collard greens are paleo, gluten free, and low carb.
- 1/4 cup raw apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce (here’s my go-to)
- 2 tablespoons bacon fat
- 2 cups roughly chopped leftover ham (about 1/2 pound)
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 1/2 lbs collard greens, stems removed and leaves thinly sliced (about 6 cups sliced)
- 12 cloves roasted garlic cloves
- Combine apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, and hot sauce in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, then immediately reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon. Set aside.
- Melt bacon fat in a 12” cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add ham, cooking for 3-4 minutes until slightly browned and crisp. Stir in yellow onion, continuing to cook for 4-6 minute or until soft and translucent. Increase heat to high and add collard greens and salt. Cook, stirring constantly, for 1-2 minutes or until the greens are wilted. Stir in reserved gastrique, roasted garlic, and oil. Serve immediately.
Keywords: collard greens, ham, leftovers, paleo, keto