With a simple sauce, crispy bits of leftover ham, and a pile of good-for-you greens, these sauteed collard greens are paleo, gluten free, and low carb.
- 1/4 cup raw apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce (here’s my go-to)
- 2 tablespoons bacon fat
- 2 cups roughly chopped leftover ham (about 1/2 pound)
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 1/2 lbs collard greens, stems removed and leaves thinly sliced (about 6 cups sliced)
- 12 cloves roasted garlic cloves
- Combine apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, and hot sauce in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, then immediately reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon. Set aside.
- Melt bacon fat in a 12” cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add ham, cooking for 3-4 minutes until slightly browned and crisp. Stir in yellow onion, continuing to cook for 4-6 minute or until soft and translucent. Increase heat to high and add collard greens and salt. Cook, stirring constantly, for 1-2 minutes or until the greens are wilted. Stir in reserved gastrique, roasted garlic, and oil. Serve immediately.
Keywords: collard greens, ham, leftovers, paleo, keto