- 5 cups chopped & peeled Braeburn apples
- 3 cups chopped carrots
- 1 cup sliced onions
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 whole roasting chicken
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Chopped parsley (optional, for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Toss apples, carrots, and onions with 1 tablespoon olive oil, thyme, cinnamon, nutmeg, garlic, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Spread apple mixture on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Place chicken over apples, using a rack if possible. Rub chicken with remaining tablespoon olive oil, then sprinkle with remaining salt and pepper. Roast for 1 hour or until chicken is cooked through. Let chicken rest for a few minutes, then transfer to a cutting board and carve it.
- Partially mash apple mixture with a potato masher and serve with chicken. Sprinkle with fresh parsley, if desired.
Keywords: Roast Chicken with Apple-Carrot Mash