- 2 tablespoons ghee or butter
- 3 tablespoons arrowroot powder
- 3/4 cup bone broth or low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound ground sugar free breakfast sausage
- 10 large eggs
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 1/2 cups yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 pounds russet potatoes (about 3 large)
- 3 ounces raw sharp cheddar, shredded (1 cup) – OPTIONAL
- 6 scallions (green onions) chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F with rack in upper third of oven.
- Make the béchamel sauce: Melt ghee/butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Whisk in arrowroot powder and cook for 1 minute, whisking constantly. Slowly add broth and coconut milk and bring just to a boil, continuing to whisk until thickened. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Remove from heat.
- Brown the sausage: Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook sausage for about 5 minutes, breaking up large pieces with a spatula. Transfer to a 9×13 inch baking dish, scattering evenly.
- Cook the veggies: Reduce heat to medium and add onions to the skillet. Season with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and cook for about 7 minutes, until browned and softened. Add vinegar and cook for 30 seconds more while scraping up browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Stir in spinach. Spoon evenly over sausage in baking dish.
- Crack the eggs into a large bowl and whisk until frothy. Pour over the sausage and veggies in the baking dish.
- Make the top layer: Shred the potatoes using the large holes of a box grater or the shredding blades on a food processor. You don’t want to shred potatoes too far in advance of using them, because they brown quickly when exposed to oxygen! In a large bowl (the same one you used for the eggs, if you wish), combine potatoes, cheese (if using), scallions, and béchamel sauce. Add to baking dish in an even layer.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 40 minutes. Uncover and turn oven to broil. Cook for about 8 minutes, watching closely, until top is well browned. Serve warm.
Keywords: Sausage egg hashbrown casserole