This quick Skillet Chicken with Green Beans and Mushroom Sauce cooks up in just 30 minutes! With fresh veggies and lots of flavor, it’s a great weeknight Whole30 & keto meal.
- 1 pound fresh thin green beans
- 3 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced (~ 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons cassava flour
- 1/4 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 lemon, sliced into 8 very thin slices
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Fill a medium pot 3/4 full with water and add a generous pinch of sea salt. Bring the water to boil over medium heat. Add the green beans, cooking for 2 minutes before immediately draining and plunging into ice water to blanch the beans. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. While the skillet is heating, lay the chicken breasts out on a cutting board and use a meat pounder to pound to a uniform thickness. This ensures even cooking! Season chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add the chicken to the pan and cook for 5-6 minutes on each side, until cooked through. Remove chicken from the pan.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add the onion, sauteing for 2-3 minutes until lightly browned and softened. Add the thyme and mushrooms, cooking for an additional 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the cassava flour to the pan, stirring to coat the vegetables until no dry flour remains. Slowly pour in coconut milk and chicken broth, stirring constantly to prevent clumping. Add the lemon slices and green beans, stirring to incorporate. Simmer for 1-2 minutes, until the sauce has slightly thickened. Add the chicken back to the pan and simmer for another 3 minutes or until the beans are crisp-tender. Sprinkle with fresh parsley and serve.
If you prefer a thicker sauce, increase the cassava flour to 3 tablespoons.
Keywords: skillet chicken with green beans, skillet chicken, green beans, mushrooms, paleo, keto, low carb, Whole30, gluten free