- 5 oz uncured pepperoni (I used Applegate), sliced into large strips
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
- 2 14 ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil or 1/2 tablespoon dried basil
- 4 oz fresh mozzarella (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add the pepperoni to the skillet and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, to crisp up the pepperoni. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- Add the olive oil to the skillet and cook the chicken thighs for 10 minutes, flipping once, until lightly browned but not cooked through. Transfer to the same plate as the pepperoni.
- Add the garlic and chili flakes to the skillet. Cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Pour in the diced tomatoes and stir in the oregano and basil. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, while the sauce thickens.
- Return the pepperoni and chicken thighs to the skillet. Transfer to the oven and bake for 20 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through. Remove the skillet from the oven.
- If you’re adding mozzarella, turn the broiler on high. Tear the mozzarella into chunks. Sprinkle mozzarella over the skillet, and return to the oven for about 2 minutes. Watch closely! You only want it to be in long enough for the mozzarella to bubble and brown. That’s it!
- Sprinkle fresh basil over the skillet, if desired. Serve immediately.
Keywords: Skillet Pizza Chicken, pizza chicken, gluten free skillet recipes