- 6 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 roma tomato, diced
- 1 tablespoon diced serrano pepper
- 1/2 green or red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 pound sausage or ground pork
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- For garnish: crumbled Siete tortillas chips, salsa, fresh cilantro, avocado, green onions
- Heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the sausage to the pan and cook until browned. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add the garlic and onion to the pan, satuéeing for about 5 minutes until translucent.
- Add the tomato, serrano pepper, and bell pepper to the pan, cooking for an additional 3 minutes until soft. Stir in the cumin, chili powder, and paprika. Add the browned sausage back to the pan and stir to mix. Transfer back to the plate and set aside.
- Wipe the skillet clean, reduce heat to medium-low, and add the remaining olive oil.
- Pour half of the beaten eggs into the heated skillet. As soon as the egg starts to set on the bottom (it should happen almost instantly), gently pull the egg towards the center with a spatula, allowing the raw egg on top to flow around the pan and begin to cook. If necessary, use the spatula to help spread the raw egg on top to fill in any gaps.
- Spoon half of the filling mixture onto one side of the cooking eggs. Once the egg is cooked, use a spatula to fold the omelette over.
- Carefully transfer the omelette to the plate. Garnish with salsa, fresh cilantro, sliced avocado, sliced green onion, and crumbled Siete tortillas chips, as desired.
Keywords: southwestern sausage omelette