All hail the breakfast taco! Particularly these steak and egg breakfast tacos with chimichurri!
Taco lovers can relate: to truly showcase your adoration of tacos, you’ve got to eat them for every meal.
Breakfast is the best meal, hands down. We can slice out a little more of heaven with a creation like this. Grain free cassava flour tortillas, thin strips of flank steak, scrambled eggs, and ultra fresh chimichurri to add some color and a suckerpunch of bright, herby flavor.
In late 2018, I made a promise: 1 taco recipe each month in 2019. After all, I’m always spouting my love of tacos. Why not make it a focus of my year?
I couldn’t think of a better way to kick off the series than these breakfast tacos.
They’re relatively simple, with the majority of prep going towards the tortillas. If you opt for store-bought tortillas, you’ve easily cut out half of the work.
Want even more tacos in your life? I have a whole e-book full of taco recipes! All you’ve got to do is subscribe to my email list, and Tacos Every Damn Day will be sent right to your inbox.
Now, the taco e-book has the recipe for my cassava flour tortillas used in this recipe.
But if you don’t want to get your hands on the epic e-book for some reason (I mean, let’s be real, you can subscribe and unsubscribe once you download the e-book — but of course I don’t want you to do that), you can always use your fave recipe or a storebought option.
If you get the e-book, you’ll quickly learn that one of my favorite things about tacos is that they’re endlessly customizeable.
For these tacos, you can add some chopped tomato, salsa, or radish to add a bit more flavor or some crunch.
But I’d stop short of adding pickled onions or pickled radishes, because the chimichurri already offers a smorgasbord of flavor.
Of course, if it’s heat you’re after, you can add a tablespoon or so of diced jalapeño to the chimichurri!Print
The best way to start your day! Customize these tacos with a little bit of salsa, chopped tomato, or chopped radish. But DON’T skip the chimichurri!
For the Tacos:
- 6 cassava flour tortillas (see notes)
- 6 oz steak (I used flank steak)
- 1/2 tablespoon sea salt
- 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 large eggs
- 6 tablespoons chimichurri
For the Chimichurri:
- First, prep the chimichurri. Finely mince the cilantro, parsley, and garlic cloves. Add them to a bowl. Add the salt, red pepper flakes, and red wine vinegar. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil, whisking to emulsify. Set aside while you prep the rest.
- Next, make the steak. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Heat a cast iron skillet on the stovetop over high heat. Salt the steak liberally with sea salt on both sides. Sear the steak in the skillet for 1-2 minutes on each side, then immediately transfer to the oven to cook for an additional 1-2 minutes (depending on how done you’d like your steak and how thick the steak is). Remove from heat and let rest while you prep the eggs.
- Then, make the eggs. Either wipe out and reuse the skillet you made the steak in or set a new skillet over medium heat. Add the olive oil. Crack the eggs into a medium bowl and whisk until light and frothy. Pour the eggs into the skillet. After a few seconds, use a spatula to scrape the egg from the outside of the skillet towards the center, allowing the uncooked egg to spill out and cook around the edges of the skillet. This makes fluffy scrambled eggs! Repeat until all the egg is cooked.
- Finally, let’s assemble some tacos! Thinly slice the steak and place a few pieces onto each tortilla. Add a bit of egg to each tortilla. Add about a tablespoon of chimichurri to each taco. You know what to do next!
I make my own “flour” tortillas using cassava flour. You can get that recipe in my free taco e-book! Otherwise, use store-bought grain free tortillas like Siete Foods tortillas.
Keywords: steak & egg breakfast tacos