For the Salad
- 1 delicata squash, sliced into half inch thick half moons
- 1/2 cup olive oil, divided
- 4 cups kale, roughly chopped
- 1 cup hazelnuts
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp clove
- 1/8 tsp cayenne
- 1/4 cup raisins or dried cranberries, if desired
For the Maple Vinaigrette
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Toss squash with 2 Tb olive oil. Arrange in a single layer on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, until squash is tender and browned at the edges. Remove from oven and allow to cool before transferring squash to a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, prepare kale for the oven. In a large bowl, massage kale with 1-2 Tb olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Transfer to the baking sheet used to bake the squash. Bake for about 10 minutes or until wilted and crisped at the edges. Transfer to the bowl with the squash.
- Roughly chop the hazelnuts and combine in a bowl with cinnamon, paprika, nutmeg, clove, and cayenne. Add 1 Tb olive oil and toss to coat. Transfer to the baking sheet and bake for about 5 minutes to toast the nuts. Let cool slightly, then add to the kale and squash.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the maple syrup, mustard, and vinegar. Slowly drizzle in the remaining 1/4 cup olive oil while whisking constantly.
- Add raisins/cranberries to the bowl with squash, kale, and nuts. Drizzle in half of the dressing and toss. Taste, and add additional dressing if desired. Store in the fridge for up to 5 days. When serving, bring to room temp or warm slightly in the microwave.
If you end up with extra dressing, use it for extra salads, toss veggies in it, or use it to flavor cooked chicken.