This Whole30 Chicken Poblano Soup recipe is a meal prep hero! With plenty of veggies and a spicy broth, it’s paleo, gluten free, low carb, and keto.
- 6 large poblano peppers
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup diced red onion
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons diced jalapeno
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 pound cooked, shredded chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- Turn on the broiler. Place the poblano peppers on a baking sheet and roast the peppers on the topmost rack for about 5 minutes on each side, until blistered and blackened in spots. Remove from the oven and immediately place in a sealed container or plastic food-storage bag, steaming for at least 20 minutes. After steaming, remove from the container, peel off the skin, and remove the stem and seeds. Chop into 1-inch pieces and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a pot over medium heat. Add the onion and jalapeno, cooking for about 5 minutes or until softened. Add the garlic and cook for another 30 seconds. Add the roasted poblano pepper, cumin, chili powder, oregano, sea salt, black pepper, broth, non-dairy milk, and shredded chicken.
- Bring the pot to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Partially cover the pot and let simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
- Before serving, squeeze in the juice of 1 lime and garnish with cilantro and avocado slices. Store in the refrigerator for up to a week or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Keywords: chicken poblano soup, whole30, paleo, low carb, keto, gluten free