Quick chicken burrito bowls make a perfect lunch or meal prep recipe! With nourishing fresh veggies and seasoned chicken, these bowls are an easy, healthy lunch or dinner option.
Plus, they’re gluten free, paleo, low carb, Whole30, and keto-friendly. Lots of goodness packed into one bowl!
How to build an epic burrito bowl
Burrito bowls have become wildly popular on the internet, and for good reason — you’re taking all the deliciousness stuffed into a burrito and leading it up in a bowl instead. No need to roll a burrito anymore!
But where do you start?
You’ll need 4 basic components for an epic burrito bowl:
- Bulk or base — lettuce, rice/cauliflower rice, beans
- Veggies — bell pepper, tomatoes, red onion, avocado, black olives, mango, cucumber, fajita veggies, pickled veggies, etc.
- Protein — chicken, pulled pork, steak, shrimp, and fish could all work!
- Garnishes & sauces — cilantro, toasted cashews/peanuts, ranch, chipotle sauce, ginger scallions sauce, etc.
In many ways, a burrito bowl is a LOT like a salad, but using rice/beans as a base instead of solely lettuce. But just like a salad, the toppings make the bowl!
What to put in a burrito bowl
As mentioned above, a great burrito bowl uses all 4 components to build a multilayered, nourishing, fresh dish.
I place a lot of emphasis on the veggies here — after all, a variety of vegetables and toppings means more color and variety in each bite.
Cauliflower rice + chicken isn’t anything special. The veggies, spices, and other add-ins are what MAKE a burrito bowl!
Ways to customize a burrito bowl recipe
The sky’s the limit here!
The recipe below is for chipotle chicken burrito bowls, but you can custimize a burrito bowl any way you’d like, with your favorite veggies or protein.
Use these ideas to make your own burrito bowl:
- Combine cucumbers, tomatoes, red onion, and kalamata olives for a Mediterranean Burrito Bowl.
- Top cauliflower rice with chicken, bacon, avocado, red onion, tomatoes, and ranch for a CBR burrito bowl.
- Want to add some tang? Quick-pickle the radishes or throw in pickled jalapenos!
Don’t forget, you can switch out the chicken for your favorite protein to change it up, too!
More mouthwatering gluten free bowls
- Easy Tuna Poke Bowls Recipe
- Whole30 Shrimp Buddha Bowls
- Mediterranean Chicken & Cauliflower Rice Bowls
- Plantain & Olive Beef Bowls
These vibrant Chipotle Chicken Burrito Bowls work well for meal prep or a nutritious dinner bursting with fresh veggies. Feel free to change up the veggies or add your own favorites!
For the chipotle chicken:
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded to uniform thickness
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
For the cilantro lime cauliflower rice:
- 1 head cauliflower, riced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 tablespoons minced cilantro
For the bowls:
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced romaine lettuce
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 avocados, pitted and sliced
- First, start the chicken. Combine 1 tablespoon olive oil, lime juice, and spices in a small bowl to form a paste. Rub the chicken all over with the spice mixture, then set aside while you prepare the cilantro lime cauliflower rice.
- To rice the cauliflower, cut the head of cauliflower into florets. Add the florets to the bowl of a food processor, working in batches if necessary. Pulse until the florets are uniformly riced.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the skillet. Add the cauliflower rice and salt. Saute, stirring frequently, for 5-6 minutes, until the caulirice softens. Add the lime juice and saute for another minute, stirring continually. Remove from heat and stir in the minced cilantro. Scrape into a large bowl and set aside.
- Heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil in the same skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook undisturbed for 3-5 minutes, then flip and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let rest for 5 minutes before slicing into thin strips.
- Assemble the bowls by dividing the cilantro lime cauliflower rice, romaine lettuce, bell pepper, red onion, radishes, cherry tomatoes, chipotle chicken, cilantro, and sliced avocado between 4 bowls. If desired, garnish with lime wedges or additional toppings.
If making for meal prep, it’s best to store the veggies separate from the meat and assemble just before eating.
Keywords: chipotle chicken, burrito bowls, whole30, low carb, keto, paleo